Sleep, oh how I love thee

Ok – hands up those of you sick of me talking about sleep? Yep my hand is up too – trust me. Both hands are up.

My Tiniest Man is now 11 months old and I assumed he would be sleeping through the night by now. I also thought he would be giving me 2 naps a day. He is doing neither.

Parents not getting enough sleep is nothing new. It is a well known fact that newborns will keep you up at night. Its when they hit 3 months people start suggesting things like sleep school and the like to you.

We did get a sleep consultant in. We did sleep group (which is like therapy). We do/have done everything and yes we gave it a chance before trying something else. The upshot of it is they have given up on him. No more suggestions.

The positive of all this is that Tiniest Man is thriving. He is hitting every mark he is meant to, he eats everything, he is almost walking, he is going great. The sleep issue is the one thing not going well. Things aren’t too bad then I think.

But it doesn’t get me through the tiredness. The 3 hours of sleep I am getting. (broken sleep that is too). The shortness of my temper, the lack of energy and simply not caring about birthdays or anything. All I want is sleep.

My friends and I were talking about girls weekends away and whether they would do it or not. Whether we could stand to be away from our children or not. Me? If I got the chance to go away and not be mum for a couple of days and get some sleep – I am so there. Mark my name down right now. Ask me before my bubba come along and I doubt I could have done it. I am spent. I am at the end of my rope. All I want, please present fairies, is a night away from my family. I want silence and I want sleep.

Bad mother? Well I feel like one for admitting that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in baby, parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Sleep, oh how I love thee

1. Sarah says:

Oh Nelle I can totally understand the need for sleep when you have a little one that just doesn’t. It sucks though that we feel like bad mothers when we admit that it’s all too much & we need a decent night sleep. I totally get that.

2. Wanting sleep doesn’t make you a bad mother, it makes you human! A friend of mine recently had a night in a hotel in the city by herself. She just needed some rest and a break from the kids. I think we all need rest and time to ourselves regularly so we can recharge our mother batteries.

BTW. I am working on the report now, just taking a break and reading a few blogs!

3. katepickle says:

Ah I just blogged about the crap parenting I’ve been doing while running on no sleep… it’s not fun is it!

My middle boy (who is now three) never slept more than 45 minutes at a time ever… until I gave up fighting him to have a day sleep at about 18 months of age and he magically started sleeping through the night (well mostly). He’s three now and while he hasn’t day napped for years he sleeps great over night… so perhaps the miracle will happen for you too!! Fingers crossed!

• nellbe says:

Thanks Kate! That also concerns me – oldest boy missing out on me. I keep telling myself – its not forever.

4. Veronica says:

I could have written this three years ago. The good news is, it does get better. The bad news is, none of this helps you right now.

• nellbe says:

Thanks Veronica… it helps get me through, knowing that people know what its like and that it gets better

5. Maxabella says:

Are you kidding? Get yourself away and get some sleep when you can!!!! I’m (cover your ears) six years in with non-sleepers and I shuffle off for a night away whenever I can. I engineer the opportunities, believe me. I never feel even remotely guilty and I only vaguely miss the children. And I’m all the better for it. In fact, I’m probably still living because of it. And it makes me a much better mumma because when I get a little rest, so do my Cranky Pants. Please go as soon as you get the opportunity (BF begone!). Enjoy.

• nellbe says:

Thanks Maxabella – I shall ‘accidently’ leave this comment up for hubby to discover. I actually have told him I want a night away to a hotel all by myself – he keeps insisting he should come too but hey thats no fun!

6. Mrs Woog says:

You dread the nights hey!?? Reading your post brings bad memories. I was so tired my husband got his mum down and sent me to a hotel for 24 hours. A luxury I know but cheaper than a breakdown xoxoxox

• nellbe says:

Thanks for stopping by Mrs Woog… good way of putting it, it is cheaper than a break down. Thank you xx

7. Sleep… What’s sleep again? And then you go blog. lol
    Kelly Be A Fun Mum recently posted..Fight Fun

8. Brenda says:

Ahhhh. Sleep deprivation…story of my life. Sigh.
    Brenda recently posted..Stop press- The Carnival is Back!

• nellbe says:

It happens to so many of us… not sure who’s cruel idea it was to put mums through this!

9. Marita says:

I ran away for the weekend recently, two whole nights in a hotel room all by myself! I slept, I read, I showered alone. It was blissful.

10. Jade says:

My son slept 12 hours a night from six weeks old. Every single night.
    Imagine the ongoing and incredibly rude shock to then have my daughter, who only last week (AT 20 MONTHS OLD!!!!) slept through the night for the first time. Ever.
    Oh, good times.
    Enjoy your night away. I can just imagine all your friends heading out for dinner and you hopping into the bed with an eyemask for a nap instead ;)
    Jade recently posted..Land Down Under

• nellbe says:

Hi Jade – my first born also slept all night every night from 7 weeks. I agree it is a very rude shock! Yes I will be napping instead of eating – its a given. Thanks. :)

11. Ann says:

Sometimes I used to think that when you have a baby the sleep fairy waves her magic wand over some bubs and they sleep through the night from the word go. Others – like your bubs and mine when they were little – have to learn to ‘embrace’ the word sleep. Have you even seen Edward Munch “The Scream” that’s what I used to feel like with my eldest some days. Thankfully those days are gone and your days will pass too. Mind you at this stage this wont help…sorry!

• nellbe says:

Hi Ann – yes ‘The Scream’ – exactly! I am just glad that others are letting me know they know what its like. Don’t feel so alone now! Thanks. xx

12. Trish says:

I kept telling myself it wouldn’t last forever …this, too will pass and gradually it did.
    (OMG I first typed would last forever hehe)
    Co sleeping definitely made some difference to how much sleep I got.

I remember reading a great article recently on sleep, I should go look it up.

13. Jo says:

Hi, I’m mum to a 4 yr old who doesn’t sleep through the night, trust me when he shouting and screaming at 2 or 3 in the morning because……. wait for it……… his blanket isn’t covering his collar bone!!! I get very cranky but it’s because I’m tired not a bad parent. What I’m trying to say is being tired and cranky doesn’t make you a bad parent, now go get some sleep. :) xx
    Jo recently posted..“Can’t You Eat Properly”

• nellbe says:

Hi Jo, thanks for much for coming by. Ah yes collar bone covering is very important! And thank you for your words :)

14. Ash says:

I was in this situation when Willl was about 7months old – and I was the crankiest crankiest crankiest! In my uni days I could go without sleep for two or three days, and then I could sleep for a day or I could go on two hours a night for a week, and then I could crash. We don’t get the chance to top up the bank enough when we’re mums, so I’d be jumping at that chance of some sleep too! You’re a good mum for recognising that you need it, not a bad mum for wanting to escape. I hope you get some very soon. x
    Ash recently posted..S is for Science – Part 2