I finally got around to trialing a new plum pudding recipe yesterday. Not only had I wanted to make it for a photograph for this post, I also wanted to taste test it for my unsuspecting family on Christmas Day.
I am happy to say it was successful all round and the recipe went off without a hitch. The recipe is modified from a regular recipe I had.
Where that come from I have no idea, I found it in my recipe folder with no reference (I am much better now with remembering to write where I get them from}
** Updated Dec 2011 – actually now we know where this recipe came from, my mother tells me the original was my nanna’s recipe. I remember her making a plum pudding every year and thought the recipe was long gone, nope it wasn’t thank goodness.
Gluten Free Plum Pudding
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup mixed fruit – I used Woolworths Homebrand mixed fruit
- 1 cup gluten free plain flour – I used Orgran
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbspns butter
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- pinch salt
- Boil milk, sugar, mixed spice, mixed fruit and butter together in a saucepan. I just waited until the butter had melted then pulled it off the heat
- Add rest of ingredients and mix well
- Put into greased pudding basin, put baking paper on top, then cover with foil
- Steam for 2 hours
- Serve with brandy custard. Or plain custard. Or ice cream. Or cream.
- Suitable for freezing (apparently, I have not tried this)
- Makes a medium sized pudding.
- I will be doubling recipe for my lot
- it is truly yummy!
So if you are like me and clueless as to how to steam a plum pudding, this is what I come up with when I googled.
- I used my big pasta/stock pot. Put water into it making sure it did not touch the steamer basket
- Place pudding basin into steamer basket
- Bring water to boil
- Then simmer for time indicated
- It can be made beforehand, wrapped well in basin with foil and kept in fridge
- Then resteam gently for an hour
- I did use microwave to warm ours last night and it was fine
I hope that helps you. Enjoy!